Time to build a PC for myself. The last time I built one was 6 years back. My wife and me went to Sim Lim Square to buy the parts and brought home to fix it. It was a hilarious moment since neither of us built one before. Think it cost us around $400 for an i3 PC. It survived till recently when I decided to upgrade the 500 GB HDD to 1TB HDD. My carelessness cause it to lose the Windows drivers and somehow I am unable to boot up using the Boot Options menu (F12). I did used a legacy keyboard (the PS/2 type) just to be sure it is not the motherboard issue.
Oh well, let’s just take this opportunity to build a new one. This time around, I going beast mode. Hence, the name Project Jaeger. Spend some time looking through the price list online. I decided to build as per the following list.
- Motherboard+CPU: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC + i7-8700K = $826
- Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 3200MHz 32GB CL16 = $515
- Graphics: MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming 8GB =$713
- CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 = $58
- SSD: Samsung 860 Pro 250GB = $165
- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB = $58
- Casing: Phanteks P400S Black-Red = $125
- OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit = $195
- Productivity: MS Office 2016 = $175
Total cost will be $2,830. Ridiculously huge amount but I am pretty sure the benefits will outlast the cost. I am looking at using this rig for networking labs, pursuing CCIE, fiddling with machine learning and probably be more serious in improving my video editing skills.
Prices to the above rig can be found here.